Only a few parts of the world have been identified as blue zones; a place where humans live significantly longer lives. One of these blue zones is located in beautiful Costa Rica, on the sunny and restful Nicoya Peninsula.
What can we learn about living a long, healthy life from blue zones like Costa Rica’s?
Here are 7 things we can do:
1) Exercising every day is key. People in blue zones keep active and incorporate moving their bodies daily into their routines.
2) Eat a legume-rich, vegetable-rich diet and think of meat as a luxury or a treat – not a necessity. People in blue zones don’t always eat meat every day.
3) Take care of your body like it belongs to someone you love. Don’t smoke and don’t drink too much, be mindful of the things that are bad for your health.
4) Have a purpose; whether it’s through work, religion, or social engagements – know what you live for and why you do what you do.
5) Be good to your friends and your family. Love each other, take care of each other, and confide in each other – humans are social creatures and a healthy life is filled with others.
6) Watch your stress. Stress can impact your ability to take care of yourself, and your ability to be there for others. By being mindful of your limits and knowing how to stay in control, you can reduce a lot of coping mechanisms that you might otherwise cling to if stress starts to bring you down.
7) Love yourself – you are important to a lot of people. Know that, feel that, and live it.
Real Surf Trips offers guests a once-in-a-lifetime surf trip in Costa Rica. Come enjoy our fantastic staff, beaches and luxury accommodations plus pick up a few of the Costa Rican secrets to a long life!