Here are some examples of common mistakes people make when learning to surf:
- Make sure that your surfboard is not just right for your size, skill, and weight but also right for the surfing conditions that you expect. If you are not sure whether your surfboard is suitable or not, make sure to ask your instructor at our Costa Rica surf camp!
- Surfing uses up a lot of energy. As a result, you want to make sure that you eat carbs and proteins for fuel while also keeping hydrated with either water, sports drinks, or even fruits and vegetables.
- Always crouch low with your hips bent while you are on your surfboard if you want to keep standing and enjoy a long ride. This is because of your center of gravity and standing in a rigid pose almost always ensure a quick wipe out.
- If you want to maintain control over your surfboard, you need to have your front foot on the center of your surfboard with its outer arch facing the nose while your back foot is parallel to it.
- Finally, in preparation for your Costa Rica surf camp, brush up on your swimming skills. Paddling takes a lot of effort and you can expect to spend a lot of time doing it. In fact, it is such an important skill that you should use days when the surf is flat to practice your swimming!
Real Surf Trips in Costa Rica provides its guests with first class accommodations, one-of-a-kind service and over 20 years of local surf knowledge, guaranteed to give you the Costa Rica Surf Camp you’ve been dreaming of!